Kris’ Belgian Dark Strong - 2nd Place at Belgian Beerfest 2016
|Best Malz Pilsner||36%|
|Simpsons Maris Otter||22%|
|Weyermann Munich 1||22%|
|Joe White Wheat||5%|
|Dark Candi Syrup||6%|
|Light Dried Malt Extract*||%|
|Styrian Goldings||72g||5.2 %||Boil||60 Mins|
|Step 1||63° C||60 Mins|
|Step 2||72° C||20 Mins|
|Mash Out||78° C||10 Mins|
|Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey**||250 ml||Liquid|
This beer won Kris Domagala 2nd Place in the Dark Ales category at the recent Belgian Beerfest 2016, hosted by Yarra Valley Brewers.
- Brewed on a Grainfather system. 21L post boil volume target with 17L into the fermenter.
- *LDME was 0.8kg added due to poor mash efficiency to hit target por-boil gravity.
- Crystal Malts were added at Mash Step 2.
- Mash in with 19L, rest at 63C for 60, raise to 72C and rest for 20, raise to 78 and mash out for 10mins. Sparge with 9.5L water at 80C.
- WY1214 yeast was a re-pitched slurry, consisting of 250ml of yeast.
- Aerated wort for 45s with pure oxygen at pitching, and then another 35s the following day due to no visible activity.
- Fermented at 18C for 2-days, then raised to 21.5C over 3-days.
- Fined with gelatine.
- Counter pressure bottle filled and kept at room temperature for two months prior to competition.
Thanks for your recipe, Kris, and congratulations on yet more awards!