Kris’ Belgian Pale Ale - 3rd Place at Belgian Beerfest 2016
|Simpsons Maris Otter||51%|
|Weyermann Munich 1||20%|
|Simpsons Medium Crystal||5%|
|Weyermann Caramunich 1||4%|
|Light Dried Malt Extract||19%|
|Styrian Goldings||31g||5.2 %||Boil||60 Mins|
|Styrian Goldings||12g||5.2 %||Boil||10 Mins|
|Main rest||63° C||60 Mins|
|Mash out||78° C||10 Mins|
|Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey||1000 (starter) ml||Liquid|
This beer won Kris 3rd place at the recent Belgian Beerfest 2016, organised by the Yarra Valley Brewers. The category was “Summer Ales”.
- Grainfather system. Targeting 21L post boil volume, with 17L into the fermenter.
- LDME (extract) was added to compensate for mis-weighing Munich malt (should have been 1.72 kg).
- Crystal malts added at 72 degree rest (so says notes from Kris, but perhaps this is 78-degrees as we don’t have a 72-degree rest listed).
- Mashed in with 14.5L of water. Rested at 63C for 60mins and then raised to 78C and rested for 10mins. Sparged with 11.5L water at 80C.
- Fermented at 19C for 2-days, then raised to 20C for another 5-days. Fined with gelatine. Counter pressure bottle filled and refrigerated for 2-months prior to competition.
- The yeast is a 1L starter.
Thanks to Kris for his recipe, and congratulations on the placing!